[FreeNX-kNX] Can't connect to nxserver from nxclient

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Mon Jan 26 12:50:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 13:23 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I am new to freenx so forgive me if the answer is simple. I want to connect two
> boxes both with Fedora 10 but am getting authentication failure. It is difficult
> to diagnose what the problem is. Nothing in /var/log/messages or secure. Only
> hint I get is from pam-unix which reports through Logwatch:
>
> sshd:
>     Authentication Failures:
>        nx (epowork.epolan.dk): 1 Time(s)
>
> Is there anything I can do to further diagnose what's going on? BTW I have
> disabled selinux so it is not from there the problem comes.

Hi Erik,

Find your node.conf file (normally in /etc/nxserver) and set
NX_LOG_LEVEL=5 (without the # in front) and change
SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0 (remove the # infront).
This will make the nxserver script log to (normally) this file:
/var/log/nxserver.log
Watch that file as you log in, and if it tells you to investigate a
session, then look at the error-file in the session log
(/home/<userid>/.nx/<session-id>/error).

Also look at your physical client logs.

If this doesn't help, try running the setup-procedure again with:

nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge

This will remove the previous FreeNX setup/konfig, remove the keys, and
reinstall it again.

If this also fails, there is also at the wiki (see bottom of this mail)
some instructions on how to debug SSHD problems.

I did an install on a Fedora10 a few weeks ago, and I can't remember
having any issues (besides the 'fixed' font that should have been fixed
by now, I think) - so if you can't figure it out, please return here :-)

Regards,
Terje