[FreeNX-kNX] nxagent hangs with openoffice.org

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Tue Jan 13 17:40:56 UTC 2009

Phil Stricker <stril at gmx.de> writes:

> Mario Becroft schrieb:
>> That's interesting--we already have the on-disk cache set to 0, and the
>> in-memory cache set to 4 megabytes (the smallest the nxclient GUI allows
>> you to set). However, by editing the session file, I can change the
>> in-memory cache to 0. I will make this change and report whether it has
>> any effect.
>>

> Hi!
>
> Are there any news according to that problem? The same thing happens to
> me: After some minutes of working with openoffice over NX, nxagent
> consumes 100% of the CPU.
>
> I tried freenx 0.7.3 additional the "commercial" NXServer... Same
> Problem on CentOS 5.2 Which linux distribution are you using?

I am also using CentOS 5.2. Which version of openoffice.org is it? On
our system I have upgraded to OO 3 because of another problem (not
nx-related) that we had with the 2.x version supplied with Centos.

Someone else on the list suggested that disabling the disk cache in
nxclient may help with the openoffice.org hang. Please try this. It
definitely helped for us.

There is at least one other bug I am aware of that may cause a hang with
openoffice.org. Next time it is hung with 100% cpu in openoffice, please
do this: check whether your pid's are increasing rapidly. e.g. run the
ps command twice, say 1 second apart, and check whether the pid of the
second ps command is almost the same as the first, or has it increased
by about 100? In one possible hang that could occur with openoffice,
nxagent is forking repeatedly which will cause the pid to increase
rapidly. Please report back on this, as I would like to know whether
this is the issue you are having or not. If it is, it can be fixed.

Please try the above and report back. If this is not the cause, there
are still several things we can try. I am 99% certain we can fix the
issue you are having.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>