[FreeNX-kNX] freenx and KDE4

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon Dec 14 11:35:17 UTC 2009

alei69 <alei69 at free.fr> wrote on 14/12/2009 10:53:59:

> Hi,
> This is my first post on that email-list.
> Please, let me know if it's the wrong place for my problem.

Yup, when this is known . . .

> I'm using a client "nomachine" 3.4.0.5 on a eeepc Xandros to connect to
a PC
> with mandriva 2010 64bits using freenx (same pb with a 32bits version).
>
> I can connect to my mandriva if I select the "gnome" desktop in my
client
> ("nomachine").
>
> But, if I select the KDE desktop (which is my preferred one), I can only
see
> the KDE splash screen during the  login process and, during "half a
sec", my
> background image of my desktop.
> After that, the nomachine session crashes with a message: "the
> connection with
> the remote server was shut down. Please check the state of your network
> connection".
> In my home directory, the system generates "Core.xxxx" file.

Core blimey . .

> Of course, I think my network is fine because it's work perfectly with
Gnome.
> I can also connect using ssh.
>
> Do you have any idea where to dig in order to find a solution?
> I even don't know if it's a nomachine problem or KDE or Freenx one.
> I tried to debug and "decrypt" some log files without success.

You fail to tell us whether or not the KDE you select using FreeNX works
when you use it locally.

That would be a good start !!

You might look to see how your version of mandriva starts KDE4.

If you have KDE3 and KDE4 on the machine ( all or in part !! ) then you
may well be a launching a different executable to the one you want to
launch.

        /usr/bin/startkde runs what exactly.

That would be another good start !!!

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ