[FreeNX-kNX] freenx stopped working after update

Eli Morris emorris at pmc.ucsc.edu
Wed Aug 19 21:21:42 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

We're on the same page. Before I got your message, I checked the
nxserver permissions and they were royally screwed up.

ls -l
drwx------.  5          492 root       4096 2009-08-17 23:06 nxserver

I set them to nx:nx and now 'su -l nx -s /bin/bash' works without error.

I still can not log in with no password from a client though to user
nx. I was able to configure another test user to have passwordless
login and it worked fine. That's two other accounts that work fine. I
checked the sshd_conf file for the permitUsers line and it was
commented out. I also tried changing the login shell to bash in /etc/
password for user nx and then tried to login passwordlessly and that
did not work.

Here is the redacted ssh verbose output when I try and log in:

debug1: Offering public key: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
debug3: send_pubkey_test
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-
mic,password
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred: ,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: Next authentication method: password
nx at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX password:

Something about that nx user.... What else to check?

thanks,

Eli