[FreeNX-kNX] freenx stopped working after update

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Tue Aug 18 07:53:51 UTC 2009

Mark Weisler <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> wrote on 18/08/2009 08:10:41:

> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 21:11 -0700, Eli Morris wrote:
> > Freenx stopped working after update a yum update. Now every time I try

> > and log in using the nx client, I get:
> >
> > NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 676
> > NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
> > NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
> > NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
> > NX> 200 Connected to address: 128.114.68.100 on port: 22
> > NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
> > NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
> > NX> 204 Authentication failed.
> >
> > I have version 0.7.3 of the server and I'm using Fedora 11.
> >
> > I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a couple of days and I just
> > have no idea what is going wrong. I can't seem to get anything on the
> > log file. Could one you experts help me out? I loved freenx before it
> > stopped working.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Eli
> I'm not an expert with freenx so please treat my opinion accordingly.
> You have just one authentication method-publickey-and that is failing.
> It might be that the key(s) on the server were changed in the update.
> You might try to figure that out or you might just remove freenx and
> reinstall it from scratch.
>
> You might also try getting into the computer using ssh alone, without
> freenx.
> Good luck with it. I know life is not good when you are used to using it
> and then deprived of it.

Here's a bit more detail, which may or may not help !!

Try copying the correct id_rsa key into a file ont eh workstation and
connecting to port 22 on the server using :-

ssh -l nx -i /path/to/the/nx/id_rsa -p22 128.114.68.100

        NOTE The id_rsa key in the nxclient and in your
/path/to/the/nx/id_rsa file above must be the same as the PRIVATE KEY on
the SERVER in the user nx's ~/.ssh directory ( the initial connection is
user nx setting up a ssh tunnel ).

        grep nx /etc/passwd|cut -d":" -f6           will tell you where
the nx user calls home.

When you are sure the nx user can connect       using the private/public
key via port 22 on 128.114.68.100

try connecting as the user

ssh -p 22 -l your-remote-user 128.114.68.100            This should prompt
for your user's password

Finally

You should also get NEW session by connecting locally from a command line
-->ON<-- machine 128.114.68.100 by using

ssh -p 22 -l your-remote-user 127.0.0.1

This should again prompt for your remote-user's password and log you in.

What did yum update?? Were these updates on the workstation, the client or
both??

good luck !

chris

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ