[FreeNX-kNX] Web control

Mirco Piccin pictux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 21:20:13 UTC 2009

Hi,
i put here a brief description of correct installation and configuration of
NX WebCompanion:

INSTALLATION:
- download package nxplugin from NX download area;
- unzip package:
# tar --absolute-path -zxvf nxpluginxxxxx.tar.gz
(xxxxx is usually a version number)
- the compressed TAR package will be extracted in the /usr/NX/share/plugin
folder;
- you should copy the plugin folder to the public directory of your Web
server - of course, you need to install also Apace (or another web server);
# cp -a /usr/NX/share/plugin /var/www/

- change ownership of the new folder:
# chown -R www-data: /var/www/plugin
(i suppose www-data is your Apache user)

CONFIGURATION
- put an .nxs file in "session" folder (path : /var/www/plugin/session/);
.nxs file are session configuration file; if you have a NX client installed
on your pc, go to ~/.nx/config folder (in Linux; in win$ that folder sould
be C:\Program etc etc\NX\config) and copy one of these to the specified
folder.

- change ownership of the new file:
# chown -R www-data: /var/www/plugin/session
(i suppose www-data is your Apache user)

You now need to edit the applet html file of webcompanion plugin
(/var/www/plugin/nxapplet.html):
change :
<PARAM NAME="SiteUrl" VALUE="http://webserver">
with the url of the server in which WebCompanion is installed (maybe the
same FreeNX server);

change:
<PARAM NAME="SessionUrl" VALUE="/plugin/session/session.nxs">
with the .nxs file name you want to use (the previous one copied into
"session" folder)

USE
- now point your web browser to:
http://<freenx server ip (or WebCompanion ip)>/plugin/nxapplet.html

An applet should load and make available a NX session (with authentication).

That should be enough to start to use WebCompanion.
For any other information, you can read official documentation here:
http://www.nomachine.com/documents/plugin/install.html

Hope this helps you.
Regards