[FreeNX-kNX] loadbalance: Could not create server lock file: /tmp/.X****-lock

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:02:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have one freenx server that balances between two desktop hosts. I've
had some connection errors.

nxserver log says:

Could not create server lock file: /tmp/.X1002-lock
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/.X1002-lock': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/.X11-unix/X1002': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove

I think this is caused when nxserver checks /tmp to find a free display number.
while [ -e /tmp/.X$SESS_DISPLAY-lock -o -e "/tmp/.nX$SESS_DISPLAY-lock" ]
do
	let SESS_DISPLAY=$SESS_DISPLAY+1
done
So, it finds the first available display.

But /tmp on the desktop host may be different. Perhaps the user's
logout left something behind and the /tmp entry is still present.
So freenx server assigns a display number according to it's local
/tmp, but the existing " -r--r--r-- /tmp/.X***-lock " and the "
swxrwxrwx /tmp/.X11-unix/X*** " on the desktop host cause the error.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.
Chris.