[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX connection issues behind router

Kurt Godric kgodric at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 18 06:25:20 UTC 2008

OK... Got it working... when doing it behind a router, use the internal IPs for the load balancing.  ie:

<SNIP>
# LOAD BALANCING
# ==============
#
# To do load balancing setup some hosts in LOAD_BALANCE_SERVERS and
# make:
#
#   - either sure that all incoming connections are sent to the master
#     server by using forwarding directives on the "slave" servers.
#
#   - or share the session database space via NFS between the servers.
#     (not recommended at the moment as race conditions for DISPLAYs can
#      occur)
#
ENABLE_LOADBALANCE="1"

---->  LOAD_BALANCE_SERVERS="x.x.x.100 x.x.x.101 x.x.x.104 x.x.x.105 x.x.x.108 x.x.x.109 x.x.x.110 x.x.x.111 x.x.x.112 x.x.x.113 x.x.x.114 x.x.x.115 x.x.x.116 x.x.x.117 x.x.x.118"

# The following load_balance_algorithms are available at the moment:
#
# "load", "round-robin", "random"
#
# For "load" you need a script called nxcheckload in PATH_BIN.
#
# A sample script, which you can change to your needs it shipped with
# FreeNX under the name nxcheckload.sample.

LOAD_BALANCE_ALGORITHM="load"

# By setting ENABLE_LOADBALANCE="1" you can let users choose their
# preferred host, while being forwarded to another server. Of course
# this is just a preference. The loadbalancing algorithm can completely
# choose to ignore the users choice.

#ENABLE_LOAD_BALANCE_PREFERENCE="0"
</SNIP>

The IPs that I had listed in the "LOAD_BALANCE_SERVERS=" section were external IPs.  If you use the internals, you should be fine; same goes for the server forwarding portion of the nodes.  If you have a private, back end network, I suggest using that for the traffic.  Else, use your fastest link.  Ours happens to be 1GigE which uplinks to 10GigE Metro Fiber.  I remember when 10mbit was fast... sheesh.

Now if only I can figure out how to port users from DotNetNuke over to Linux users.  But that is for another posting.

Thanks for the assistance.