[FreeNX-kNX] Timeout parameter.

Lei Tang L.Tang at asu.edu
Wed Jan 2 23:02:27 UTC 2008

Patrick Rady wrote:
> We are using FreeNX Server 0.60 running on Ubuntu 7.04 with a variety of
> Windows and Linux clients and it has been working well- except at one
> particular site, where we have been experiencing timeouts.  At this site
> we are using the most recent NX client for Linux- on Ubuntu 7.04.
>
> At present- I don't believe the problem to be with FreeNX, but rather a
> possibly dodgey Internet connection.
>
> The symptom is simply that the connection simply, suddenly and without
> warning, times out.
>
> The user can than login again and reconnect without incident.  This
> happens multiple times a day.
>
> Is there a parameter in FreeNX- that can be added to any of the
> configuration files to increase the duration for a timeout- or to make
> it less sensitive to a flaky Internet connection?
>
> Other people from a variety of sites with a variety of clients on a
> variety of OSs, are able to connect to this same server for long
> periods, without timeouts- which leads me to believe that is the
> connection itself.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree?
>
> --Patrick
>
> -
> Patrick Rady
> Administrator, npServ
> NEW (Nonprofit Enterprise at Work)
> office 734-998-0160 ext. 211 / fax 734-998-0163
>
> prady at new.org / http://www.new.org/
> Ann Arbor Office: 1100 N. Main, Suite 100, Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1059
> Detroit Office: Hannan House, 4750 Woodward Ave., Suite 308, Detroit, MI
> 48201
> Join 75+ nonprofits that already signed up for The Board Room, your one
> stop shop for conducting nonprofit board business!

Hi, I encountered similar problems.  It seems this happens when you
connect to the server too frequently. I don't know the innate procedure
but there's a nasty way to avoid the time-out for a windows client:

In your task manager, kill the nxssh.exe process and then when you
connect to your nxserver, the time-out error should disappear.

Hope this works for you.
-Lei