[FreeNX-kNX] XIO: fatal IO error 54 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":1000.0"

boxed skeg seabrightskiff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:22:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Alastair Johnson <alastair at solutiontrax.com
> wrote:

> boxed skeg wrote:
> > NXCLIENT - Version 3.2.0-9 on gentoo 2008.0 x86, freenxserver 0.7.2-r2
> > also on gentoo 2008.0 but on sparc. I can shell into the client machine
> > (ssh -Y myacct at servermachine <mailto:myacct at servermachine>) and do
> > /usr/bin/nxnode --agent and the X window pops up and no errors are
> > reported on the shell. However this is the session log after it bombs:
> > http://pastebin.ca/1185802 The DISPLAY on in the client shell is
> > localhost:10.0 so how did it get to 1000 so it could be unable to open
> > the display?
>
> DISPLAY 1000 is the tunnelled, NX compressed display, and is entirely
> normal. The error 54 is not, and I've not heard of it before. There may
> be some useful information in the server logs if you enable them as
> described in the link below.
>

> http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ/Problem_Solving#Turning_on_logging

I have those settings and the session log is where I got that error from.

I think the really unusual part is that the /usr/bin/nxnode --agent works.
Nxclient must be relying on a different mechanism than just ssh'ing in with
X11 forwarded/piped through the shell.  I mean the one of the log files (on
the client, I believe) made it sound like that would eliminate *most* of the
possible issues.  Obviously not *all* of the possible issues, though! :-)

-Kevin