[FreeNX-kNX] Fedora 7 issues

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Thu Sep 27 12:10:30 UTC 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007, David Frascone wrote:
> I've had several issues with freenx.  I thought I'd post them here, and
> maybe there was an easy solution to them.  I've since then gone back to
> nomachine, but I sure would prefer more than two sessions.
>
> First, I got things working by importing /etc/nxserver/client*.key.  I'm
> going to look at the fedora howto posted yesterday and see if the ssh keys
> approach thingie is better.
>
> So -- problems:
>

>    1. Client version mismatch.  All of the howto's I did find were for
>    version 2.1 which I was unable to find.  So, I had to use nxclient
>    version 3.0.

The docs probably need updating to reflect this, but in practice it makes
little difference. The only gotcha I've found is that the sense of the SSL
encryption checkbox has changed (enable to disable or vice versa). We also
need to add a note about 64bit nx 2.1 libs having an obscure problem that may
prevent connection.

>    2. Font crashed nxclient server.  I'm not sure why, but my desktop X
>    server started crashing all day.  Every few hours, something would
> crash.  I finally looked at the backtrace, and found that it was font
> related.  This *only* happens when displaying freenx 2.1 server sessions
> with
>    nxclient 3.0.  !M's server does not crash the client.

Interesting - I've heard of font issues causing things not to display in a
session, but don't remember anyone mentioning X crashing on the client end.
More detail would be good if you have it.

>    3. Repaint issues:  sometimes the server screens would need to be
>    repainted.  Not a big deal, I just flopped to another desktop and back

Experienced this from time to time, usually with the more aggressive
compression settings. As a user it never bothered me enough to look further.

>    4. Font color:  In my non-desktop session (x-chat & gaim), when
>    restoring, all the fonts would be in green.  A repaint wouldn't fix it,
> but If I forced the application to redraw (switch tabs, etc), *some* of the
> font color would go back to normal.

Not seen this one