[FreeNX-kNX] Scanning and NX

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Fri Sep 7 15:46:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

sorry, mail was send toooo fast. I was not finished.

> That's what I'm trying to do. The clients will be Windows-based with a
> scanner and printer connected. I need to let them use that scanner and
> printer from within a NX session. How do I fix this?

The printer is working, but the scanner is not. Right?

Okay, lets see what we need to do to get this working.

First of all you need to get saned running on windows plus some TWAIN backend. (should be easy under cygwin)

Then you need to add a new "scanner" channel to libXcomp.dll and enable it by default (assuming you use the !M client).

Then you need to add support for enabling it into the server and add automatic scanner configuration to the server too, so that applications can find the remote / "local" tunneled saned.

As iirc sane uses a driver independent protocol and lets the backend do the work, you at least do not have to worry about drivers, which might make it possible to use the normal client with just a patched libXcomp.dll.

Time Estimation:

- 2-4 days: saned on windows via cygwin (+ dependencies)
  + TWAIN backend
  + Getting xsane to work with it
  + Testing the network connection
- 1/2 day: Changing libXcomp.dll on windows via cygwin (+dependencies)
- 1/2 day: Changing server libXcomp.so and adding support for xsane
         to clients
- 1 day: Bringing it all together and testing it.

Overall:

For this project I estimate 4-6 Days of work needed, so its not an easy "lets just do it and be done" task.

cu

Fabian