[FreeNX-kNX] Printing to Windows client from FreeNX server session

Prakash Velayutham prakash.velayutham at cchmc.org
Thu Nov 15 17:08:57 UTC 2007

Hello Fabian,

Lots of progress. Here are the things I tried.

* Started a Samba server with some shares in a Linux machine. Added a
user to the local smbpasswd entry.
* Installed NoMachine NX Client on this system and configured to
connect to the FreeNX server with one of the samba shares accessible.
* In the FreeNX server, set SAMBA_MOUNT_SHARE_PROTOCOL to "cifs".
* Changed /sbin/mount.cifs and /sbin/umount.cifs to have setuid and
setgid.
* Created a mount point in the server and made the NX user owner of
this director.
* Changed the smbmount function in /usr/bin/nxnode so that the mount
point is as per above (somehow I had problems if this the user's home
dir on the server as the home dir is not accessible by root as mount
runs as root because of setuid).

And CIFS mount of the share works just fine.

But I am having trouble mounting a Windows XP SP2 share still. Here
are some things I tried.

* Using PuTTY, I created a tunnel to the FreeNX server on port 4000 on
the server which gets tunneled to port 445 on the local Windows system.
* Now when I try to mount a share on the Windows system using
mount.cifs, I get
mount error 13 = Permission denied
* I had the same error in my previous Linux samba test, which went
away once I  created the relevant user in local smbpasswd file using
smbpasswd command.
* But in the Windows system, I can see that everyone has read access
to the share I am trying to access from the server through the tunnel,
but it still does not work.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Prakash