[FreeNX-kNX] Using nxclient instead of xdm

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Wed Nov 14 16:24:30 UTC 2007

> That's close to the idea. I'm using VNC now to run 5 different sessions on
> my server, one for each family member. Each person knows their
> "Ctl-Alt-F#" to get to their personal session that stays logged in all the
> time. The X that's talking to the video is only running a single copy of
> vnxviewer in the full screen, the desktop is running in Xvnc. There are a
> few glitches with this setup, so I'm trying NX to see if it works better.
>
> When I try a similar setup, the nxclient program runs fine until it
> finishes the login and (presumably) starts KDE, then it simply exists and
> the screen contains nothing, though I can see the KDE is running in the
> process table.

IIRC, there was a possibility to add a file called "noexit" to /usr/NX/share/  to have the client and proxy running in foreground and waiting for the proxy and respawn nxclient on exit of proxy.

As a foreground process you could also use:

while true;
do
   nxclient
   while [ "$(pidof nxssh)" != "" ]
   do
      sleep 1
   done
done

There should be some more ideas on that in the mailing list archive and in the NoMachine knowledge base.

cu

Fabian