[FreeNX-kNX] Client-side CUPS printing

Prakash Velayutham prakash.velayutham at cchmc.org
Sat Nov 3 19:49:01 UTC 2007

Hello Fabian,

Another question is, I hear CUPS 1.2 does not support usermode cups
daemon like CUPS 1.1 does. Would this affect how the client-side
printing works?

On Nov 3, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Fabian Franz wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am having some trouble configuring the NoMachine's nxclient and
>> FreeNX server with client-side printing option (I don't even know if
>> this is supposed to work at all).
>
> At least in v.2.1 client, this was buggy.
>
>> I have a CUPS server (SuSE Linux 10.2) in my network which is
>> behind a
>> firewall (10.*.*.* IP address) which connects to 2 different HP
>> JetDirect printers. All my Linux systems connect to this CUPS server
>> for printing.
>
> Seems perfect.
>
>> I have a FreeNX server (SuSE Linux 10.2 and FreeNX-0.7.0-3.1) running
>> in a different network beyond these firewalled systems (public
>> internet). On the FreeNX server, I have CUPS and cups drivers
>> installed.
>
> Okay.
>
>> I am trying to connect from one of the Linux systems (SuSE Linux 10.2
>> with NoMachine's nxclient (3.0.0-84) to this FreeNX server with CUPS
>> printing enabled from the client side.
>>
>> But as soon as the nxclient is started and authentication details
>> given, it gives a message saying "Can't launch CUPS server" and in
>> the
>> terminal it says "cupsd: child exited with status 127".
>
> This seems like !M did not update the client to support CUPS v1.2.
>
> You can use a wrapper script, which you point the NXClient to
> instead of /usr/sbin/cupsd.

Where should this wrapper be used, client or FreeNX server? If server-
side, I think I am having problems at the client-side and how would
this help in my case. If on client-side, how can I point NXClient to
the wrapper as the client is a executable binary, not a shell script.

> See svn://svn.berlios.de/freenx/nx-utils/nxcupsd-wrapper
>
> or
>
> http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/freenx/nx-utils/nxcupsd-wrapper/
>
> There is also a README explaining what I wrote.
>
> Note: Using the wrapper you can also automatically download the
> right driver by setting ENABLE_CUPS_SEAMLESS="1" in node.conf, which
> I would only try once the general setup is working correctly.
>
> cu
>
> Fabian

Thanks,
Prakash