[FreeNX-kNX] nxagent - unable to open display :-(

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Wed Jun 27 15:27:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:41:28PM +0100, Alastair Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 10:29, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm still struggling to get FreeNX working again on openSUSE. :-( I'm
> > using the NX/FreeNX/knx packages I'm providing via the buildservice
> >
> >   http://software.opensuse.org/download/NX/
> >
> > - NX 2.1.0
> > - FreeNX 0.6.0
> > - knx 0.1
> >
> > on openSUSE 10.3 Alpha5. I've set
> >
> >   ENABLE_2_0_0_BACKEND="1"
> >   NX_LOG_LEVEL=7
> >
> > in /etc/nxserver/node.conf. The client I'm using is knx.
> >
> >   login/password: NIS user
> >   Sessiontype: UNIX/KDE
> >
> > Results:
> > - Authenticating user: ok
> > - Starting remote session: fails
> >   --> xmessage window: "The connection with the remote server was shut
> >       down. Please check the state of your network connection."
> >
> > In /var/log/nxserver.log you can see that nxagent fails with
> >
> > ---
> > Fatal server error:
> > Error: Unable to open display
> > 'nx/nx,options=/suse/sndirsch/.nx/C-magellan-1000-F026663F6F267DA6E673A184B
> >E033FCB/options:1000'.
>
> You skipped the 2 preceding lines here which I think may be important.
> Info: No suitable cache file found.
> Info: End of NX transport requested by signal '15'.

Both come from libXcomp. Not sure if a non-suitable cache file is
fatal though.

> > NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1.
> > NX> 596 Session startup failed.
> > NX> 105 NX> 1006 Session status: closed
> > rm: cannot remove directory
> > `/suse/sndirsch/.nx/C-magellan-1000-F026663F6F267DA6E673A184BE033FCB/':
> > Directory not empty NX> 1001 Bye.
> > ---

> > attach the complete /var/log/nxserver.log (NX_LOG_LEVEL=7). I
> > redirected stdout/stderr of nxagent in nxnode, which I also attach
> > (nxagent.log).
>
> you don't need to redirect this yourself as nxnode already redirects them
> to 'session' and 'error' in the session
> directory, /suse/sndirsch/.nx/C-magellan-1000-F026663F6F267DA6E673A184BE033FCB/
> in your example above. You just need to set SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0 in node.conf
> to stop it removing them at the end of the session.

Thanks. Good to know. I guess since the "authority" file is empty I
think that nxagent cannot be started successfully.

> > Plain NX/NX connections via nxproxy/nxproxy and nxproxy/nxagent
> > without FreeNX being involved works for me. Scripts for testing this
> > are in package NX (/usr/share/doc/packages/NX/examples/samples/).
>
> When you say plain connections word do you include starting the kde session
> using whatever command FreeNX is configured to use? See COMMAND_START_KDE in
> node.conf or if not defined there check nxloadconfig to see what's being
> used. This may not be the same as is used to start a local session.

I've set COMMAND_START_KDE to xterm. I only tested X11 apps over the
plain connections. I attach the sample scripts.

> > If you have any idea what's going wrong or you have any other proposal
> > to try or see any missing informations I should provide, please let me
> > know. Any help would be really appreciated.
>
> I've not poked into that area of code since debugging a startup issue using
> 0.4.0 but IIRC nxagent, kde (or other session) and something else are all
> starting in parallel, and any one of these failing would kill the other two
> as well. When this happened you would get the 'Error: NX Agent exited with
> exit status 1.' message even if nxagent wasn't the cause of the problem. I
> ended up flooding that area of nxnode with echos to a logfile to find out
> exactly what was being run, and ran every step manually to see what would
> fail. In that case it was an obscure dependency issue in the
> COMMAND_START_KDE that wasn't making it into the normal logs.

Ok.

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany