[FreeNX-kNX] user root cannot be used as an nx user

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Jun 25 14:51:51 UTC 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 15:04, Sylviane Molinet wrote:
> Alastair Johnson wrote:

> >> This may have to do with the configuration of ssh where you can exclude
> >> root from being able to login through ssh.
> >
> > The client connects as user 'nx' before switching to the user specified,
> > so this shouldn't be the problem.
> >
> > Need more information, like which distro, which versions and how did you
> > do the install? For me using Fedora and 'yum install freenx' root login
> > has always worked by default.
>
> On redhat workstation I've installed 2xterminalserver-1.5.0-61.i586.rpm.

This would be the wrong place to ask then. FreeNX and the 2X Terminal Server
both use the NX libraries but they are not the same. If you're really lucky
someone on the list might use both ;-) I don't know whether or not the 2X
server allows root connections.

> My sshd_config contains
> PermitRootLogin yes. I still have the problem to connect with root from
> a client.

As I said before this shouldn't be needed. Kurt has already said why it's a
bad idea, and the nomachine client discourages it, but will allow it if you
must. The 2X client is AFAIK based on the nomachine 1.5.0 client, but may
prevent rather than discourage root connection for all I know - I've not
tried it.