[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX: What is the file nxclient good for?

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Fri Jul 20 14:57:59 UTC 2007

On Friday 20 July 2007 13:53, Marcello Blancasio wrote:
> Fabian Franz wrote:
> > If we could, we would have done that a long time ago ...
> >
> > Well, it needs to be called nxclient, because nxagent is searching for
> > that exact file in path with option dialog. I dunno why the hell they did
> > not just call it nxdialog and then run it via nxclient ...
> >
> > Its just another one of those annoying things NX ships hardcoded with.
>
> I don't know where on earth you found that the path of nxclient binary
> is hardcoded. Please, could you point me to the code where it is done?
>
> The location of nxclient binary can be specified in the NX_CLIENT
> environment variable. Nothing constrains you to call it 'nxclient',
> it can be called as you like.
>
> Every time nxagent needs to display a dialog box, it uses nxcomp
> library, that retrieves the nxclient binary location from the
> NX_CLIENT variable.
>
> If you guys had read the code - instead of whining - as developers
> are supposed to do, you would have realized these things.
>
> We are becoming tired of guys spreading disinformation and FUD.
>
> Wouldn't it be better checking the facts, rather than talking about
> word of mouth?
>
> I hope the following article will help you:
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR07E00479
>
> Best Regards.
>
> /Marcello Blancasio.

I'm not a developer for FreeNX or the nx libs, but as a user of both I'm
grateful to both Fabian for his work,  and NoMachine for the libs that make
Fabian's work possible.

From the new article Marcello linked to and the older feature request that
links to it seems that things used to work as Fabian described, but NoMachine
then responded to a feature request as Marcello described. I suspect Fabian
just missed the note in the changelog, a mistake I've made on more than one
occasion myself. Thanks Marcello for correcting this.

I would like to know more about the disinformation and FUD since if there is
any we should get rid of it. Since most of us on the list are end users with
an incomplete understanding of any variety of NX we've probably been
spreading our misunderstandings, and our cockup may have been interpreted as
a conspiracy.