[FreeNX-kNX] Release: FreeNX 0.7.0 "Jornade SPL Edition VI+1" + QA: The future

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Thu Jul 12 21:23:02 UTC 2007

   ----- Melding fra FabianFranz at gmx.de ---------
    Dato: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:45:43 +0200
     Fra: Fabian Franz <FabianFranz at gmx.de>
Svar-til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
    Emne: [FreeNX-kNX] Release: FreeNX 0.7.0 "Jornade SPL Edition
VI+1" + QA:  The future
     Til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>

> Hello,
>
> greetings from Girona, Spain after a really nice night out. ;-)

<big-snip>

> But the thing is:
>
> We need a team.
>
> I won't be able to do it all by myself. That is another reason why I want
> a clean and documented design with well defined interfaces. No one could
> really work efficiently with the old code base, which got really bloated
> at some point.
>
> KISS (Keep it simple stupid) is key here ...
>
> Also well defined interfaces allow those components to be individually
> tested and even used, which greatly helps to do regression testing.
>
> Think of now testing nxnode or nxserver for regression ...
>
> ... okay, lets talk about something else ...
>
> It was a very nice surprise though that the documentation and string
> review comes along so well.
>
> So I am looking positively into the future with lots of new developers for
> the NX 3.0.0 codebase incorporating changes very slowly into official
> x.org and lots of new developers doing components and developing plugins /
> hooks for FreeNX instead of screaming:
>
> - I need feature x.
> - But I need Y.
> - And I need z.
>
> Once I have the interfaces designed people can already start working on
> the new components, though I think motivation will be the highest once it
> actually is working and they can also test their changes "live!".
>
> If you really think that bash is the show stopper for 3rd party
> development, I'll learn another language, but so far no one has really
> screamed up, yet.
>
> And first you have to show me some work done, because there was lots of
> talk and talk and talk, but not really many things were actually done. ;-)
>
> I think once the first stable version of the redesign is out plus some
> decent documentation, a name change is also in order to avoid confusion
> with old things and outdated docs like nxserver --adduser ... ;-).

As I came over this article (http://www.linux.com/feature/116354) I
couldn't help think about what we could learn of the (bad) experiences
this article writer had with NX.

   Hopefully we can create easy documentation and instructions for new
user, contibuters and developers that just might make our free
counterpart to NXServer easier for people not knowledgeable to this
technology. I know I will try :-)

   Just thought it was worth sharing - got atleast me thinking...

   :-) Terje