[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX 0.7 / NX 2.1 problems with Slackware 12.0

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Wed Jul 11 22:16:40 UTC 2007

> Hi,
>
> I encounter two problems on Slackware 12.0.

okay.

> Software versions :
>
> - FreeNX 0.7 ; Nomachine 2.1
> - X11 7.2 Modular version
> - OSS ATI driver (ATI 9800 Pro)
>
> Nomachine librairies are installed in /usr/lib/NX/lib :
>
> libX11.so -> libX11.so.6.2
> libX11.so.6 -> libX11.so.6.2
> libX11.so.6.2
> libXcomp.so.2 -> libXcomp.so.2.1.0
> libXcomp.so.2.1.0
> libXcompext.so -> libXcompext.so.2.1.0
> libXcompext.so.2 -> libXcompext.so.2.1.0
> libXcompext.so.2.1.0
> libXext.so -> libXext.so.6.4
> libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4
> ibXext.so.6.4
> libXrender.so.1 -> libXrender.so.1.2
> libXrender.so.1.2
>
> The first entry of /etc/ld.so.conf is /usr/lib/NX/lib

DON'T DO THAT. THAT IS BOUND TO FAIL.

Okay, that should have been enough warning. There is an application library preload path for some valid reasons ...

If you need to change the location of the nx libs, change nxloadconfig.

> 1. First problem
>
> I launch X11. KDE Desktop is fine but as soon as I hit the keyboard (every
> key), the screen becomes larger and unusable. Each hit key modify the
> screen
> appearance.

See above.

> 2. Second problem
>
> When I run "nxloadconfig --check" it gives the error message :
>
> nxloadconfig --check
>
> Error: Invalid value
> "APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so:/usr/lib/libXcompext.so.1:/usr/lib/libXrender.so.1.2"

Yeah, this slipped into this release and is also due to your changed paths ...

/usr/lib/libXcompext.so.1 should be /usr/lib/libXcompext.so and seems to not have been fully patched.

But for you, you should really change the paths in nxloadconfig, especially PATH_LIB and not change ld.so.conf as this will load old XF86 NX libs into all X applications, which is bound to fail to repeat myself ...

cu

Fabian

> For example, my previous configuration FreeNX 0.6 / Slackware 11.0 / Xorg
> 6.9 worked like a charm.

-> Xorg 6.9 somehow did work with your configuration, but Xorg 7.2 will possibly not do this ...