[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX: What is the file nxclient good for?

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Thu Jul 5 20:36:56 UTC 2007

----- Melding fra ojkastl at gmx.de ---------

> Hello,
>
> I just exchanged some mails with the suse maintainer of the FreeNX
> package. One problem I had was that I could not install his newest
> package, cos it wanted to overwrite the file /usr/NX/bin/nxclient from
> the nomachine nxclient rpm. That was no problem in older packages, as
> he now has changed the folders, and places the whole FreeNX stuff in
> /usr/NX/bin.
>
> I asked him, what this file is good for, and he could not really help me.

The nxclient that comes with FreeNX is a simple replacement for the
non-gpl'ed client from NoMachine. The nxclient-script is responsible
for the dialogs concerning suspend/terminate the session (try:
CTRL+T), the printerdialogs and other potential when e.g. an SMB-share
on the client didn't mount successfully.

In short; it's used to send dialogs/messages from FreeNX server
into/inside the users sessions.

> Of course I am not talking about the nxclient file in the nomachine
> package, but in the FreeNX package. All I good get it to do was a
> small window with only a OK button.

Yes, that's the default behaviour when no parameter is given - just a
simple xmessage-window.

> Can somebody please shed some light on this issue, I would have
> advised to delete the file in the packages, because of the above
> mentioned problems.

According to the response to your post, it seems this issue is already
resolved. :-)

/Terje