[FreeNX-kNX] NX printing through port 445

Prakash Velayutham prakash.velayutham at cchmc.org
Thu Dec 6 14:41:05 UTC 2007

Hi Fabian,

On Dec 4, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Fabian Franz wrote:

>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am trying to print from the NX server session to a Windows client
>> printer through port 445 (as that is the only port open, as Netbios
>> over TCP/IP is disabled on the Windows client). Is this doable?
>
> Yes, but you have to recompile smbprint from samba and change in
> libsmb == 445 to != 139.

I have seen both in Open SUSE (10.2) and Fedora Core 8. I do not see a
smbprint binary (just a shell script). I downloaded the Samba sources
just now. Should I just search for the above string and see what I get
instead? And if it makes sense, build Samba from source and use that
smbprint (hopefully, this creates a binary).

> Or you can use and compile nxprint from !M sources or from !M free
> forever edition and use a URI as nx://user@host:port/cifs/printer/.

I am trying to do this also parallely. Will let you know how it goes.

>> If it is, how should the DEVICE_URI be specified so it uses the
>> forwarded port? The server cannot talk to the client PC directly as
>> they are on different ends of a firewall. Only option is the SSH
>> tunnel that NX is using.
>
> cu
>
> Fabian

Thanks a lot,