[FreeNX-kNX] Printing Through NX to RDP (Terminal Services)

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Aug 28 22:00:31 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 28 August 2007 15:15, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > Have you tried if the same applies if you run the rdesktop command from
> > running local NX session?
>
> Yes I have, and it works well with any kind of RDP quality setting. I also
> run
> VMware Console on the desktop over FreeNX, and that works well. Don't know
> how I'd work remotely without it ;-).

;-) I once tried VMWare without NX and it was unusably slow ...

> I'd like to use RDP with NX, because NX is just a hell of a lot better.
>
> > If that works too (and in NX 3.0 this is the only way, btw.), you can
> > re-export the CUPS / Samba printer via the normal rdesktop ways.
>
> Ah, yes, that should be possible. Export the printer through the NX
> Client,
> and then export it via rdesktop. Not spectacularly nice, but good enough.

:-)

> > On the other hand if you only need RDP (and the above is not an option)
> > special session could be created, which _emulates_ the RDP behaviour,
> but
> > keeps the client thinking it is running a normal session.
>
> Hmmm, interesting. What would that involve.

Changes to nxserver by changing for example if session type == unix-kde -> session type = rdp, agent_password=$PASS, agent_server = <ip>, agent_user = $USER . Plus the same scripting additions for adding the printers via nxdesktop by having a script run for EXTRA_OPTIONS_RDP in config file.

And changing in nxnode that no messages are displayed for printer configuration but instead this is got from some HCL or preconfigured.

But I guess the cleanest solution is the one above possibly in rootless mode like setting up a default rdesktop and start it with all printers script. With some window to possibly restart the rdesktop session.

cu

Fabian