[FreeNX-kNX] NX on AMD64

Tiago Mikhael Pastorello Freire tiago.freire at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 20:04:03 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 14:59, Sunil wrote:
> you gotta build the stuff yourself under a chrooted 32-bit environment.
> There is a gentoo wiki explaning all this:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_FreeNX_Server
I pioneered this on gentoo and added the amd64 instructions to the wiki.
I was having some problems on xorg 6.8. If I left a connection open for a
whole day, or overnight, the nxclient would eventually freeze. I don't know
if it was hapenning to all nx32-on-amd64 users, but now I am using xorg 7.0
on the nxclient side and this problem disappeared. I have a nxclient session
running for over a week and it is like I have just opened it, with no signs
of degradation on responsiveness.
BUT running xorg 7.0 on gentoo will require a little bit of patience and
portage knowledge, as it is masked and has *lots* of packages. I think
someone made a script to automatically unmask the packages...
Just for the record, xorg 7.0 itself is very stable too, and I am using the
open source radeon driver with dri, and it is working like a charm. As much
as it can on a dinky Radeon 9200 SE...