[FreeNX-kNX] getting to my freenx box at home from work

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jun 28 17:49:37 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 17:25, Jim McNelis wrote:

> I've tried having sshd on my box at home listen on many different ports,
> I've tried different port fowarding (virtual server) schemes on my home
> router firewall, etc. *sigh*

Whatever you do from the one end to a remote end -- make sure you
can connect from the "ssh" commandline client. If that one can't
get any access, NX Client can't either.

Try HTTPort, transconnect, stunnel, SOCKS proxy,... whatever. But
you *must* be able to connect with ssh commandline, before any
debugging attempt re. NX may even be worth while.

> Is there any way for me to test the virtual server settings on my firewall -
> from home - to see if it is indeed allowing connections on the ports that
> I've specified?

There are various methods to check. Assume you want to test port
8888 on host with IP 12.23.45.67. First try if you can ping the
IP address. Then, for example:

     SSH:  "ssh -p 8888 12.23.45.67"
  telnet:  "telnet 12.23.45.67 8888"
    nmap:  "nmap -p 8888 12.23.45.67"

(Of course, telnet won't give you an interactive session with
sshd, but you'll see if the port is accessible)

Cheers,
Kurt