[FreeNX-kNX] getting to my freenx box at home from work

Jim McNelis jimcnelis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 22:44:25 UTC 2006

I've searched this archive and couldn't find an answer that worked for my
situation. But I suspect I'm not alone so here goes:

I have 2 Linux PC's at home behind a wireless router/firewall. I installed
freenx on one of them and have sshd and nxserver configured to listen on
port 8888. I know it works because I can access that desktop from my other
Linux PC at home.

My problem is accessing my home freenx server from work. I setup port
forwarding on my wireless router (for ports 22 and 8888). I also have a
dyndns account setup to have a hostname for my home router. At work I have a
WinXP workstation (hold the boos) and it sits behind a corporate firewall.
Access to the web at work is via a proxy server. I've installed the Windows
NoMachine client and pointed it at my dyndns hostname on port 8888 but all I
ever get is connection timeout errors. I read one thread here about
transconnect but our corporate web filter blocks proxy web pages (including
theirs) so I guess that's out.

If somebody suggests port forwarding or tunneling, that's great but you'll
have to step me thru it cuz I'm fairly ignorant with all that. Is there any
way to get this to work or do I pursue something like echoserver instead?

Any help is mucho appreciated!