[FreeNX-kNX] When a server is separate from node...

Marcin Owsiany marcin at owsiany.pl
Wed Jun 14 19:43:12 UTC 2006

Hi!

I'm using:
 - freenx trunk (r204) on two machines: "server" and "node"
 - !M Linux client 1.5.0-135 on machine "client"

I have put the following into the node.conf on "server":

SERVER_LOADBALANCING=1
LOAD_BALANCE_SERVERS="node"
LOAD_BALANCE_ALGORITHM="random"

Now, when I connect from "client" to "server" using the nx client, it
works fine (the session is started on node) only when I use "encrypt all
traffic", since everything is tunneled via ssh.

When I disable this encryption option, the client sets up a session by
talking to the server over port 22, but then fails, since it tries to
connect to port 5000 (IIRC) on "server", instead of on "node", which is
where the proxy is listening for its connection.

I know that I could just redirect traffic to port 22 of node to server,
and tell the client to connect to "node" instead of "server". But I do
not like this approach, since in the "real life" case, I would like the
server decide on which node to start the user session.

I also do not like to force the users to use encryption. Also, with many
sessions, the server might become a CPU bottleneck (just please don't
tell me to buy a hardware SSL acceleration card :).

Since !M advertises usage of large node clusters with its products, I
suspect that there is simply a protocol message which the node/server
can send to the client to notify it of the address on which the nxproxy
is listening. But I cannot find such thing in freenx source.

So finally there's the question:

How should this message look like??

regards,

Marcin
PS: $SERVER_LOADBALANCING seems to be necessary, but is undocumented in
the example conffile, AFAICT.
--
Marcin Owsiany <marcin at owsiany.pl>              http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216

"Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
                                                              -- Unknown