[FreeNX-kNX] NX without X

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Thu Jun 1 18:08:14 UTC 2006

THe NX Server is an X server, but instead of sending output to a physical
display it compresses it and sends it over a network connection to a client.
For RDP and VNC you're effectively running rdesktop and vncviewer on the
server, and the server is compressing their display output and sending it to
the client. The NX server also displays some dialogs to the user using
xmessage (or the NX Client if it's installed), again sent over to the client.
This will need some level of X support, but shouldn't need a full-blown X
server. It's possible this is included in the nx-x11 part of the libraries,
but I've never had cause to install FreeNX on a machine that didn't already
have X installed, so I'm not certain.

You don't mention what distro you're using. Its packaging requirements _may_
be more of a restriction here than the strict requirements of NX, so I
suggest you try it and see what the packaging system pulls in as
dependencies.