[FreeNX-kNX] Lost manual suspend ability in FreeNX 1.5.0

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 26 21:50:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 02:17:28PM +0200, Terje Andersen wrote:
> I run my session in fullscreen, so the title bar options I don't know about,
> but to easily bring up the options use the key-combo: <CTRL>+<ALT>+T

Thanks for the help.

I figured some things out:

First, a user can suspend his/her own session with nxnode--no need
to use nxserver as root.  It takes the sessionid on stdin, like this:

echo sessionid=3CB8179B025577647B5551416169A2A7 | /usr/NX/bin/nxnode --suspend

Second, the popup controls are a function of the commercial 'nxclient'
binary.  FreeNX provides an equivalent binary without these controls,
so if when installing FreeNX you do not replace the 'nxclient' binary,
then everything works.  Alternately, if you install FreeNX's
'nxclient' shell script somewhere other than /usr/NX/bin, then it will
attempt to use the commercial NX version.  Silly me for thinking
'nxclient' was only, you know, an NX client. :-)

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>