[FreeNX-kNX] missing fonts when using nx in thin client environment

Dimitar Paskov pascoff at nola7.com
Tue Jul 18 08:45:21 UTC 2006

Hi

I have a strange problem with fonts when using nx in thin client
environment. The setup is as follows:
- a thin client machine without hard drive booting from the network and
using LTSP
- a server with Edubuntu, LTSP and freeNX
The thin client boots from the network and starts only naked X with
nomachine's client as the only application. At this point the fonts that
I need are seen by the client. When I log in the server (with GNOME as
desktop environment) and try to see what fonts are available with the
command "xfontsel" it shows only 2121 fonts available when there should
be about 7000. When I try to add fonts with the command "xset fp+
tcp/server_ip:7100" and issue the command "xfontsel" again, everything
is ok - 7288 fonts available. In my "xorg.conf" I have the following
line:
Section "Files"
FontPath       "tcp/server_ip:7100"
both on the server and on the client environment. I have the following
line in /etc/nxserver/node.conf:
AGENT_FONT_SERVER="tcp/server_ip:7100"
as it says in the documentation of the nxserver (also tried without
"tcp" and the port number but no effect).
So the problem is that I need this extra fonts available to a non
GNOME/KDE applications which rely on X fonts. The question is why are
these fonts not available automatically in X after log in with
nomachines client but can be added manually with "xset fp+ ..."
afterwards?!

I followed this articles in Nomachines KB ->
http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR11B00071
http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR11C00311