[FreeNX-kNX] Workstation without Fixed IP as FreeNX server

dewey hylton freenx at deweyonline.com
Sat Jul 15 14:26:42 UTC 2006

> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:32:59 -0700
> From: LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com
> Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Workstation without Fixed IP as FreeNX
> 	server
>
> This would require that the firewall route traffice to that server
> through that port, right?  I am thinking about a corporate scenario
> where the workstation may not be directly accessible through a firewall.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lawrence

another other option is to tunnel with ssh via a proxy computer outside the
corporate firewall. i do something like what is described below, and use it
every day.

on the freenx server inside the firewall, execute something like this:
ssh -g -R2222:localhost:22 nxtunnel at proxyhost

that allows ssh (or nx) to connect to port 2222 of the proxy host (outside the
firewall) and get forwarded to port 22 of the freenx host (inside the firewall).
with this scenario, since the freenx host is making an outbound connection you
don't need the outside world (or even your proxy host) to know its internal ip
address and won't need to deal with the firewall rules either (other than
allowing outbound ssh).

what i've shown above is in very simple form; my implementation is a bit more
complex but i've shown the important piece. i can help with the rest if you
can't figure it out, but basically you need to make sure the connection stays
up, and if it goes down you need to make sure it can automatically come back up
again.

good luck!