[FreeNX-kNX] Workstation without Fixed IP as FreeNX server

Jesse Byler lists.freenx at web19.eml.cc
Fri Jul 14 16:54:46 UTC 2006

The dynamic DNS setup works best for a globally-accessible IP address
- for example, a home cable or DSL connection which gets its IP from
the provider via DHCP.

In the scenario you describe, with an NX server behind a corporate
firewall, dynamic DNS could still help you if you only want to access
the machine from other machines within the corporate network.  But if
you want it to be externally accessible, like you said, you'll need
the firewall to open a port and forward its traffic to the internal
server machine, and to do that it has to have some way of knowing
what the changing IP address of that internal machine is.  Hopefully
if you have access to change the firewall settings and set up the
port forward you also have access to the DHCP server settings and you
can set up a static IP for your server - then you don't have to worry
about updating the firewall settings each time the server's IP changes.

If you can VPN into your company network, then your client machine
can use the VPN to get inside the firewall and then use dynamic DNS
to find the NX server's changing private IP.

SOCKS is really meant for outgoing connections, not incoming.  I
don't think it will help you.

-Jesse