[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX development questions

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Fri Jul 7 10:38:08 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, 6. Juli 2006 17:18 schrieb Ben Goodrich:
> Hi,
>
> Great work. I have two questions.

Ok, lets waste some time with answering mails ;-)

> 1) Jonathon Riddell said on http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2166 that
>
> "Fabien (sic) gave an update on FreeNX but despite NoMachine releasing
> NX 2.0 there doesn't seem to be much chance of there being something
> that's usable to make distribution packages with any time soon."

This was pointed to Ubuntu and Debian.

Both distributions have headaches to ship a XF86-based source tree again.

> Is that description too pessimistic?

Of course it is :-). Ubuntu would ship FreeNX in universe if it was based on
X.org tree. I had made an initial port based in X.org, which was not that
difficult to do, but which had still some problems.

> 2) I have been glancing at the 0.6 branch, is it conceivable that
> someone could unpack NoMachine's nxnode binaries on some remote
> server(s) without administrative privileges and configure the node(s) to
> connect to a FreeNX server on a spare computer (with root access) that
> would allocate the load and maybe provide shared filespace?

I don't know what the hell you are talking about :-D.

cu

Fabian

--
      *** Consulting - Training - Workshops - Troubleshooting ***
   @@@ LiveCDs (Knoppix), Debian, Remote Desktop Access (FreeNX) @@@

--- Fabian Franz --- www.fabian-franz.de --- consulting at fabian-franz.de