[FreeNX-kNX] Where's the window manager?!

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Fri Feb 24 22:11:31 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

I'm running freenx-0.4.4-1 and nx-1.5.0-0 on a CentOS 4 box.  The 1.4 NX
client (from No Machine) is used internally for a few thin clients.
Some employees also connect to the server over a VPN link: all of them
use the latest NX client for Windows from No Machine.

I've been using the Linux version of the NX client to connect over the
same VPN link.  I experienced no problems until several weeks ago when
for some reason, every app I opened in my NX GNOME session started
without a window manager.  At first I thought perhaps I had hosed my
Gnome profile because of some testing I had been doing with gconf, so I
erased all of the .gconf* and .gnome* directories.  But, this didn't
help.  I then deleted the ~/.nx directory - same thing.  Finally, I
deleted my login and created a new one, but the problem remains.

When I was at my client's site, I logged into my Gnome session to see if
the window manager problems where present locally (re: no NX client
being used).  However, Metacity started up normally.  Strange.

I did some more remote testing by creating new users.  No good - even
with new users, Metacity doesn't start when using the NX client.

So, can someone tell me what's going on?  How come Metacity won't start
when I log into my Gnome desktop with the NX client?

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu