[FreeNX-kNX] NXClient and Cygwin

dewey hylton freenx at deweyonline.com
Wed Feb 15 08:33:15 UTC 2006

> From: Brian Keener <brikeener at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] NXClient and Cygwin...
>
> On 2/10/06, Brian Keener <brikeener at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Maybe that's the part I am missing; I don't believe the cygwin bin dir
> > > is in my path currently.
> > >
> > > Brian K
> >
> > That had no effect.
> >
> > Brian K
>
> Thanks for the assistance with all of my problems, everyone, but the minor
> performance improvement of freenx over tunneled VNC is not worth losing
> Cygwin.  It's also obvious that it's a NoMachine problem I'm having, and not
> a freenx problem specifically, so I shouldn't expect too much from the list
> anyway...
>
> Maybe if NoMachine can work out a native Win32 client I'll give it another
> shot.
>
> Or maybe the IT department will finally give me the go-ahead to migrate my
> desktop over to Linux like I've been bugging them for over a year now...
>
> Brian K

what type of connection does your nxserver have to the target host? what type of
connection does your nxserver have to the remote (controlling) host running
nxclient? what vncserver are you using?

if you're in an environment nxserver was meant for (low latency between nxserver
and target, high latency between nxserver and nxclient) and nx is not much
faster than tunneled vnc, either you are setup incorrectly or you have a vnc
configuration most people have never seen (and i for one would like details).
for me, the nxserver route is WAY faster than anything i've ever done with vnc -
even making possible a fully functional 1280x1024 desktop over my crappy
celphone-based dialup connection.

with that said, i'm sorry you haven't had luck with cygwin; i don't use it for
anything myself, and in fact i run nxclient on freebsd so don't even need cygwin
for that - so of course i don't have enough experience to chime in.