[FreeNX-kNX] NXClient and Cygwin...

Brian Keener brikeener at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:22:07 UTC 2006

I'm trying to get Cygwin and NXClient to cohabitate peacefully, and not
having a lot of luck.

With both installed normally, Cygwin runs fine and NXClient complains about
"invalid MIT magic-cookie".

I made a copy of the c:\program files\nxclient folder locally, and
completely uninstalled NXClient and Cygwin.  I used the Windows uninstall
method for nxclient, and followed the Cygwin uninstall guide step-by-step.
NXClient runs from the local copy just fine after this step.

I then re-installed Cygwin, and encountered an issue where NXClient would
run fine from the copy of the install folder, but Cygwin would not run if
NXClient had been executed previously in the Windows session.  The error is:

C:\cygwin>cygwin.bat
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe (2380): *** system shared memory version mismatch
detecte
d - 0x75BE0096/0x75BE0084.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin
DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.

I renamed/removed the cygwin1.dll (and other files) as suggested from the
nxclient install directory, which resulted in nxclient complaining that it
could not locate the install path and prompting me to input the NX Client
install directory.  I copied the cygwin dll's into the nxclient /bin
directory and tried again, and once again I got the "Warning: X connection
failed with error 'Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE'" error.

I uninstalled cygwin and NXClient again at this point, and searched for
cygwin1.dll; I found nothing.

I installed NXClient again from a fresh download, and installed Cygwin again
from a fresh download; invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE.  I followed the
instructions in the NX support base, regarding renaming/copying cygwin DLL's
into the nxclient subfolder, and still have the INVALID MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE
error.

Also, in a whim, I copied the nxclient cygwin dll's into my cygwin folder
(overwriting the cygwin native dll's) and get

C:\cygwin>cygwin.bat
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe (2380): *** system shared memory version mismatch
detecte
d - 0x75BE0096/0x75BE0084.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin
DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.

What's next?

Brian K