[FreeNX-kNX] Unable to get freenx to work in RHEL3

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Dec 12 18:25:34 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 16:32, Marcel kraan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'am marcel kraan and i'am using the IPP_PORT environment variable in fedora core 3,4 and 5.
> Now i have installed Fedora core 6 With cups 1.2.7 and the IPP_PORT is not working anymore.

It *should*. CUPS 1.2.x still supports the IPP_PORT variable.

*However*, CUPS 1.2.x defaults for local communication to take place
over a Unix domain socket (not TCP/IP loopback). If your cupsd.conf
includes a "Listen /path/to/some/sockfile.sock" directive, cupsd upon
startup reads this and creates the socket file as needed, using it
for local communication.

Does it help if you disable the domain socket support ? (Just delete
or comment out the line with the socket file, and keep one of the

  Listen 127.0.0.1:631
  Listen 192.168.54.234:631
  Port 631

lines intact as needed for your IP range.)

If this helps, you can try the next thing: keep the "Listen ...sock"
line, but make sure it appears *after* the "Listen  ....:631" line(s).

Don't forget to restart cupsd after each change to the cupsd.conf.

> In my system config i have a working printer (poort 10000)
> the variable IPP_PORT=10000 is exported but my applications
> (firefox, openoffice) are not seeing the printers wich are in
> kcontrol?

Firefox and OpenOffice (at least in older versions) do not know at
all about IPP, nor about CUPS. They look for an /etc/printcap file
to list available printers. You should make CUPS to create such
a file with a directive of

 Printcap /etc/printcap

Does this help?