[FreeNX-kNX] GNOME per user language setting and NX

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Fri Aug 25 13:08:59 UTC 2006

Hristo Benev schreef:
> Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>>Paul van der Vlis schreef:

>>>What I do is the following:
>>>
>>>In /etc/nxserver/node.conf I change the COMMAND_START_GNOME variabele
>>>into a script. I use: /usr/local/bin/gnome-start
>>>
>>>In this script I can change anything for the session I like.
>>>
>>>--------
>>>#!/bin/bash
>>>umask 0002
>>>export TESTVAR=test21
>>>/usr/bin/X11/setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc104 -layout us -option ""
>>># /usr/lib/control-center/gnome-settings-daemon &
>>>/usr/bin/gnome-session
>>>--------
>>>
>>>You could also add something like:
>>>~/.gnomerc
>>>

>>This is wrong. I've tested it and this works:
>>. ~/.gnomerc
>>
>>In ~/.gnomerc you can use "export" to set the environment-variables.
>>
>>With regards,
>>Paul.

> Hi,
>
> I could not find either .profiles or .gnomerc in my system (CentOS 4.3
> ~= RHEL 4 U3) so I created .gnomerc and put export LANG=fr_FR.euro inside.

It is normal that you do not have a .gnomerc by default.

> Then I rebooted the machine and LANG was en_US.UTF-8.

My experience with Debian is, that when you login using GDM .gnomerc is
read. But not when you login using NX. NX will use it when you put the
following in the script to start Gnome:
. ~/.gnomerc

> When I do export from terminal it sets the variable, but this does not
> change apps behavior.

This is correct.

> I can set default language logging locally, but when i log via NX it
> gets system default values, not user ones.

I told you to make a script and to change /etc/nxserver/node.conf. Did
you do that?

> The problem is only with GNOME - KDE has user language setup and it uses
> it with NX login.
>
> I did not change anything in NX setup - rpm installation

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.