[FreeNX-kNX] DPI an issue with 1.5?

Kurt Granroth freenx at granroth.org
Sun Sep 18 21:18:21 UTC 2005

On Sep 18, 2005, at 4:52 AM, Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
>> I then started up a session on my 15" PowerBook and suspended it.
>> Then, went to my 17" iMac and resumed ... and tadah, it worked!  I am
>> now looking forward to that day when the desktop auto-resizes to the
>> client screen size (similar to RDP) but this is a great first step.
>>

> NX supports RANDR starting from the 1.5.0. It doesn't auto-resize
> because, on reconnection, it restores the session at the same size
> as when the session was disconnected.
>
> It should be trivial to add an "Auto" option in the client geometry
> settings and let the agent choose the optimal size of the desktop
> based on the size of the remote display. This, by the way, is the
> behaviour of nxagent when it is started on the command line with-
> out specifying a desktop geometry.

Ah, cool.  I played around with this a tiny bit, starting a 1280x854
session and resuming it on a 1280x1024 screen.  I was successfully able
to resize the desktop to anything I wanted.  It looks like my main
problem
with resizing has to do with resuming on OS X since I'm not using a
window
manager.  I'm going to have to investigate something like ratpoison,
evilwm,
or something similar for a stop-gap solution.

>> I bring this up because I was under the assumption that DPI wasn't
>> supposed to be one of the factors.  I can't find any reason for that
>> assumption so I may be (and likely am) way off the mark ... but it's
>> worth asking anyway.  Must the DPI be the same for resume to work in
>> 1.5?
>>

> I confirm that the DPI doesn't matter.
>
> The fact that the "resume" button is greyed out is an indication
> that the server reported to the client that the session can't be
> reconnected. Just for my personal information, does the same problem
> show with the NoMachine nxserver?

Just installed nxserver-1.5 personal and can confirm that the same
problem does NOT show up.  So my problem was 100% with the differences
between reported and actual color depth (24 vs 32) and was only in
FreeNX and fixed by Sunil.

Curiously, !M nxserver and FreeNX nxserver start up the user
differently.
When I used FreeNX, everything just worked "out of the box".  I had
to do
some digging around to get !M nxserver to work, though.  Specifically,
my main test user uses zsh as the main shell and there is no system wide
/etc/zprofile or zlogin nor no local .zprofile or .zlogin.
Nevertheless,
however FreeNX nxserver was logging in as my test user got the full
path.
The !M nxserver strictly uses a login shell which did NOT source my
normal
path setting configs and so it couldn't find anything outside of
/bin:/usr/bin (namely xauth and startkde).  A quick addition
of .zprofile
fixed that ... but it was still curious and unexpected that there was
the
difference.