[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX + VNC: Failure

Felix E. Klee fk at linuxburg.de
Tue Sep 6 15:29:43 UTC 2005

I've tried several configurations for connecting to a remote VNC server
via NX, all unsuccessfully: For example, I've setup the following system
in VMWare 5.0.0 (I've also made tests with real machines):

* SuSE 9.2 (I've also tried SuSE 8.2)

* I installed NX 1.5.0 plus FreeNX 0.4.4 (RPMs where built from
  source/nosource RPMS provided for SuSE 10.0: NX-1.5.0-17.nosrc.rpm,
  FreeNX-0.4.1-1.1.src.rpm).

* I installed the VNC packages x11vnc-0.7.2-1.guru.suse92.i686.rpm (from
  external source) and tightvnc-1.2.9-181 (part of SuSE 9.2).

I then tried to connect to the system using nxclient 1.5.0-106:

* Remote X11-via-NX sessions work flawlessly.

* VNC-via-NX sessions fail with TightVNC (started with "vncserver" -
  creates a new display) and x11vnc (takes over an existing display).
  The problem:

  - After authentication, nxclient successfully shows a window with the
    remote desktop.

  - However, it seems that the data stream from the NX' VNC-client back
    to the remote VNC server is totally unreliable: I cannot click on
    anything in the remote desktop, and sometimes random click events
    occur. Also I've seent the remote desktop redraw slowly, sometimes
    not at all.

  - After a while, nxclient shows a dialog window informing me that the
    session terminates.

As a next step, I plan to test the commercial NX version, but first I'd
like to know:

Has anyone successfully used FreeNX/NX to connect via VNC?
--
Felix E. Klee