[FreeNX-kNX] nxsetup

joel jsweatte at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 17:16:23 UTC 2005

I have CentOS 4.1. installed and patched to a fairly current level. I am
trying to setup remote access via freenx. I can ssh to the CentOS machine
with no issues and the firewall is disabled while I attempt to get remote
access functioning. I have spent a good deal of time on google and other
sites trying to find a definitive approach to how to get this software
running and have run into several 'approaches'. After a good deal of
tinkering I am at a stop with the following problem.
I THINK? I need to run nxsetup but after several iterations I am not able to
get beyond the following scenarios:

IF I use the nxsetup from the original install I get the following reply:

nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge
Removing session database ...done
Removing logfile ...done
Removing configuration files ...done
Setting up /etc/nxserver ...done
Generating public/private dsa key pair.
Your identification has been saved in /etc/nxserver/users.id_dsa.
Your public key has been saved in /etc/nxserver/users.id_dsa.pub.
The key fingerprint is:
22:bd:7a:84:93:c2:9e:af:4b:39:cb:5c:c3:2f:6a:dc root at localhost.localdomain
Setting up /var/lib/nxserver/db ...done
Setting up /var/log/nxserver.log ...done
Setting up user nx ...useradd: unknown group -d

In researching the problem I saw a suggestion that a newer nxsetup might help
so I downloaded a different nxsetup to /tmp. Here is the response to trying
that script:

[root at localhost tmp]# ./nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean
ae:44:8c:49:49:95:e3:94:df:5c:a2:20:cb:4d:80:33 root at localhost.localdomain
Setting up /var/lib/nxserver/db ...done
Setting up /var/log/nxserver.log ...done
Setting up user nx ...useradd: group nx exists - if you want to add this user
to that group, use -g.

I have done a --uninstall previously but I still get the above responses to
nxsetup.

These are the original packages that came with the distro. As best as I can
determine these versions are current and should work.

freenx-0.4.4-1.centos4
nx-1.5.0-0.centos4

All help apprecitated.