[FreeNX-kNX] freenx and Mathematica

Felix E. Klee fk at linuxburg.de
Tue Oct 4 14:14:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:33:14 +0200, "Nicolas Girard"
<nicolas.girard at nerim.net> said:
> somebody else already asked this question to the list but got no
> answer. Here's the trick:
>
> - I have Mathematica installed in 2 machines, S and C
> - freenx-server is installed in S
> - knx is installed in C
> - when I work locally either on S or C, I can start Mathematica
>   without problems (i.e. the fonts server on both machines knows about
>   Mathematica's fonts)
> - BUT when in an nx session (C=client, S=server) I want to start
>   Mathematica, it complains about its fonts.
>
> Could you please give me a hand to solve this problem ?

I haven't used MMA in a while (I'm not a student anymore and I can't
afford a full license which is prohibitively expensive).  Nevertheless,
I faintly recall that one had to modify X's font configuration because
the number of fonts that X is configured to see by default is too
small, or some such thing.  You should find the relevant information in
WRIs support database.  Now, NX runs its own X server on the NX
server.  Consequently for this X server, the font setup has to be
modified for MMA the same way as it has to be modified if an ordinary X
server is used.

Sorry, that I cannot provide more help, but at the moment I have
too many other things to do.  In any case, you may want to contact
WRI.  Their software is expensive, so they should provide you with
some support.
--
Felix E. Klee
fk at linuxburg.de    (work)