[FreeNX-kNX] Windows nxclient and freenx issues

eto at splot.org eto at splot.org
Sat Oct 1 20:45:12 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just installed freenx on a couple different linux machines using the
debian packages from this resource:

  deb http://kanotix.com/files/debian ./

I have had zero issues using the NoMachine linux nxclients.  Everything
works as advertised with minimal fuss (except possibly sound, but that's
not that important).  I recommended to a Windows user to connect to the
server with the Windows client and immediately ran into problems.  He
downloaded and tried to run version 1.5.0-114.

The first thing that he experienced was "connection timeout".  The details
of the error had him being authenticated, a request being made to list
existing sessions, and then nothing.  This rendered NX useless, which is a
real bummer because he is connecting over dialup.

Running this same client to connect locally, through VMware, I found a
slightly different issue.  The first time I would connect and generate a
new session, everything works fine.  If I asked for a desktop of 800x600
it would work perfectly.  I could then click on the "x" to close the
window and I would be given the option to suspend.  Upon reconnecting,
though, nxclient would make the window go fullscreen and put a mini
window up.  The buttons on the mini window are dysfunctional and I found
myself incapable of suspending.

I saw this same behavior when using the Windows nxclient to connect to
another freenx server across the internet.  The initial session was fine,
but resuming created issues.

Poking around for help I saw scattered remarks along these lines and how
people treated it by reverting back to an older version.  I can't find an
older version.  All links to NoMachine go to the current download.

Any tips?

FWIW, everything works great when entirely within linux.  I see a
significant improvement versus VNC, which I've been using for years and
years.