[FreeNX-kNX] FW: Question on getting FreeNX to work

Scott Simpson Scott.Simpson at computer.org
Fri Nov 25 19:03:24 UTC 2005

Hi. I'm reposting this hoping someone can help me. I don't quite understand
how all the key stuff works under FreeNX? Is there some place that explains
all this? Thanks in advance.

            Scott

Now what? I tried copying /etc/nxserver/users.id_dsa to
/var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key.

Is this sequence of steps correct? Is the generated
/etc/nxserver/users.id_dsa file supposed to be copied to
/var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key?

1) Determine if ssh is running correctly.

Ok First thing is if SSHD is up and running correctly.  Can you use ssh to
connect to a user account on the machine?  If so, the next place to look
maybe at the knx client itself.

Ssh seems to be fine. Witness:

scott at madhatter:~/.ssh$ ssh -l scott madhatter date
Enter passphrase for key '/people/scott/.ssh/id_dsa':
Tue Nov 22 07:38:47 PST 2005
scott at madhatter:~/.ssh$

I did have to type the passphrase for my id_dsa file though. I don't know
how knx handles this.

2) Determine if CygWin compatiblity is stopping KNX Client from working.

There is a defect with the client from NoMachine that makes it not work
correctly if you have another version of Cygwin also installed on the
machine.  You may have to upgrade Cygwin to make it work correctly.  If you
can go to the bin directory in a Windows command prompt and run nxssh
without errors, it is setup correctly.  For my machine it is:

 "cd C:\Program Files\NX Client for Windows\bin" then

"nxssh"

Actually, right now I'm just trying to connect from Linux to Linux. I'm
connecting on the same box using "knx" to connect to madhatter. I'll try
Windows later. What password do I type into knx? The Linux password or the
passphrase for my id_dsa key?

3) If both of these work I would recheck the settings in the kNX
configuration to make sure they are correct.

Hmm. Where is this file? When I do an "rpm -ql knx" on my system I get

/opt/kde3/bin/knx
/opt/kde3/bin/knx_client
/opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kickermenu_knx.la
/opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kickermenu_knx.so
/opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/knx.desktop
/opt/kde3/share/apps/kicker
/opt/kde3/share/apps/kicker/menuext
/opt/kde3/share/apps/kicker/menuext/knxmenu.desktop
/opt/kde3/share/apps/knx
/opt/kde3/share/apps/knx/knxui.rc
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/16x16
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/knx.png
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/32x32
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/knx.png
/opt/kde3/share/locale/en_GB
/opt/kde3/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES
/opt/kde3/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/knx.mo
/opt/kde3/share/locale/fr
/opt/kde3/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES
/opt/kde3/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/knx.mo
/opt/kde3/share/locale/pt
/opt/kde3/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES
/opt/kde3/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/knx.mo
/opt/kde3/share/locale/sv
/opt/kde3/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES
/opt/kde3/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/knx.mo
/opt/kde3/share/locale/ta
/opt/kde3/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES
/opt/kde3/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES/knx.mo
/usr/share/doc/packages/knx
/usr/share/doc/packages/knx/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/packages/knx/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/packages/knx/ChangeLog
/usr/share/knx
/usr/share/knx/client.id_dsa.key

I don't see a configuration file there. Also, it is weird that a
"client.id_dsa.key" file is distributed. Aren't I supposed to replace that?

Again, thanks a million.