[FreeNX-kNX] Question on getting FreeNX to work

Darryl Palmer dpalmerjr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 08:08:06 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, Scott Simpson <Scott.Simpson at computer.org> wrote:

>  Now what? I tried copying /etc/nxserver/users.id_dsa to
> /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key. I'm not sure if this is
> correct. When I run the kNX client I get the error "Connection to NX server
> could not be established. Connection timed out.". Here is my line from
> /etc/passwd:
>
>  nx:x:114:100::/var/lib/nxserver/home:/usr/bin/nxserver
>
>  Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks a million.

 1) Determine if ssh is running correctly.
Ok First thing is if SSHD is up and running correctly. Can you use ssh to
connect to a user account on the machine? If so, the next place to look
maybe at the knx client itself.
 2) Determine if CygWin compatiblity is stopping KNX Client from working.
There is a defect with the client from NoMachine that makes it not work
correctly if you have another version of Cygwin also installed on the
machine. You may have to upgrade Cygwin to make it work correctly. If you
can go to the bin directory in a Windows command prompt and run nxssh
without errors, it is setup correctly. For my machine it is:
  "cd C:\Program Files\NX Client for Windows\bin" then
"nxssh"
 3) If both of these work I would recheck the settings in the kNX
configuration to make sure they are correct.
  Darryl