[FreeNX-kNX] Windows 98 Compatability

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Sun Nov 6 17:43:30 UTC 2005

On zo, 2005-11-06 at 11:26 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>
> >1) FreeNX isn't nomachine
> >2) Trolling is unwelcome
> >
> >Nomachine and FreeNX have done a truly amazing job with the NX
> >technology and do not deserve such disrespect.
> >
> I wouldn't automatically consider a post critical of NX platform
> coverage to be a troll.

True, but then again - if you look at his post he clearly did not mean
to be constructive...

> Anyway, you are correct that NX is an amazing technology.  !M succeeded
> in an area where Keith Packard tried, and then threw up his hand in
> dispair and gave up (LBX).
>
> What I can't understand is why NX is not making a bigger splash than it
> is.  Many in the OSS community have never heard about it, though VNC is
> well known enough.

It's new, it's not completely open source and it does not yet work out
of the box with Xorg 7. For me these factors were not a problem, but I
can see why this limits the userbase. I do think that it'll be a success
though.

> Shutting down their user mailing list (and disabling access to the
> archives!) was probably not the best move from the standpoint of
> boosting NX's popularity within the community. (The "shutting down the
> list to focus on development" justification"  kind of made sense.  The
> "closing access to the archives" part was never really explained.)
> Though I do, of cource, give them big points for open-sourcing the core
> technology.
>
> I just joined this list on Friday.  And granted, weekends are always
> kind of slow for tech mailing lists.  But I've been a bit surprised at
> just how dead this list is.  Is *everybody* using X on a local machine
> or over a LAN these days?
>
> NX is a major breakthrough for X.  Why are so few people interested?
>
> Perhaps if Freenx server were delivered as an integral part of distros
> it would catch up to (or surpass) VNC in popularity.

That would indeed rock, but there are licensing issues. The NX FOSS libs
and FreeNX are easy to distribute (I make Ubuntu packages available
myself); but since the client is not open source, this one will have
problems. I have not yet found licensing details but if it can be
redistributed freely, at least some distros will pick it up. If only the
client would work with Xorg 7 out of the box...

--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org