[FreeNX-kNX] Confirm: presently no freenx way to view windows screen on linux PC?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 18:21:08 UTC 2005

Please excuse the FAQ; I've been curious about this aspect of Nomachine NX
and FreeNX for some time:

I install the free RealVNC client (and server) on every scattered windows
PC I am obliged to support. This can be a group of fast machines in an
office LAN, or dispersed friends and family members on residential
broadband. Obviously with a large number of deployments on machines that I
may never actually connect to, I don't buy the commercial RealVNC client.

VNC works well enough for this purpose; however, the performance is poor
as the broadband or (god-forbid) dial-up speed gets slower. NX seems to be
the best remote viewing technology, and I'd like to use it, if there are
free components that could replace VNC for me. Also necessary is a simple
one-package install on the Windows PCs'.

I rarely see any mention of ways to view users' windows desktop screens on
administrator's linux workstations. Is this scenario even a goal of NX? I
am a linux user, myself; I only need to connect to windows desktops, at
least until I can convert these errant users to Linux ;)

Actually, I don't even know if this is possible with the commercial
NoMachine components. I would have thought that remote viewing Windows
desktops by Linux users would be the business case for them...

Is the NX terminology using the 'inverted' client-server metaphor that X
windows uses? I have always understood that to mean that on X, a server
program draws its output to client screens. Does that mean that the NX
windows client is more akin to the VNC server than the VNC viewer?

Thanks for any info or suggestions. I am very impressed with NX
technology, and FreeNX achievement. I'm just trying to sort out whether
the free programs supporting NX use will be applicable to a heavy VNC
user. Thanks.