[FreeNX-kNX] How to use FreeNX as Surfstation for Windows Users?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Sat May 28 04:28:41 UTC 2005

Thorsten Witt schrieb:
> Hi,
>

> we like to use a Linux Distribution with FreeNX + KDE + Firefox (located
> in a DMZ) as a Surfstation
>
> for our unsecure Windows 2000 Desktop User.
>

> How can we customize the KDE to start only Firefox if a Windows user
> logs in with NoMachine client?
>
> We do not want to give the users a full KDE Desktop!
>

> Any ideas how to get this work with FreeNX?

there are a couple of solutions:

1) KDE kiosk will let you customize KDE sessions for users (exclude some
parts etc.)
2) you automatically start programs in KDE by placing symlinks (or bash
scripts in ~/.kde/Autostart
3) but above all, if you just need Firefox, you don't need to start the
whole KDE

Tomek