[FreeNX-kNX] Client restart capability

Andreas andreas at rrohio.com
Wed Mar 30 23:44:42 UTC 2005

I was wondering how difficult it would be to implement a faster method to
reconnect to the server. Consider a kiosk application such as a student
center: students login in the morning on one machine, and then, throughout
the day, the simply stop at some other kiosk, look up their next class, and
move on.

The requirements for this type of application are a little different than the
original NX client. Consider this:
1. the users authenticate once in the morning, with the expectation of not
having to do the same until the following day
2. the actual usage of the session is very short - establish connections,
lookup something, suspend connection
3. establishing the reconnect should be as fast as turning on a TV monitor
4. the network is closed, in that the kiosk machines are not open to the
outside world, and so the connection is within a (more or less) trusted
network
5. users change their kiosk location with each session reconnect
6. users share the kiosk in a serialized fashion (earlier user caches and
personal info must therefore be removed or stored elsewhere, ie: USB dongle).

Essentially, I would like to hold some form of a session ticket, either
kerberos, X MIT cookie, whatever, on a USB device and bypass the RSA exchange
and the userid/password authentication on session reconnects. The only thing
left to do is instantiate the X server on the client and establish the
network connection to the NXAgent.

My question is: where do I look to start changing this code. Of course, if
someone more familiar with the code already has such knowledge, I'd use their
implementation instead. :)

Andreas