[FreeNX-kNX] unix:port for DISPLAY causes (me) problems

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Wed Mar 16 13:34:45 UTC 2005

Fabian Franz wrote:
> Gian Filippo, why do you export the display as unix:1000.0 ?
>
> I just followed your (working) way in FreeNX.
>
> Are you aware of any problems?

The only problem I'm aware of is that you cannot name a machine
'unix', that indeed is a limitation. When using that notation,
Xlib assumes the protocol to be 'unix' and not 'tcp' or anything
else, but ':n' should have the same effect, so it should be pre-
ferrable. Anyway at the time we decided to use unix:n we did that
because:

- Using :n still caused name lookups in Xlib/xauth and session
   could fail if names were unresolved.

- Some X client could still try to connect to the TCP port, be-
   cause the ':n' display specification was sometimes gotten as
   'the display n using the protocol that works best for you'
   and some applications preferred TCP. Not all the operating
   systems in the world are based on Unix.

- We wanted to have the option of disabling TCP connections in
   the agent and in the proxy, so wanted to be sure that client
   would have connected only to the Unix socket.

This was true at the state of the X world in 2000. Now things
are probably changed and there are not many X implementation
not based on the XFree86/X.org codebase. You can try to switch
to :n and see if anything breaks. It's just a matter of changing
one line, I think.

/Gian Filippo.